You may be able to get funding for hearing aids through ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation). So how do you apply for ACC hearing aid funding?
You may qualify for ACC hearing aid funding if you:
- have had an accident in New Zealand that caused hearing loss in one or both ears
- have worked in a noisy environment in New Zealand and you believe that it caused your hearing loss.
ACC provides 3 levels of funding.
The level for each claimant is decided by assessing each individual and attributing how much of the hearing loss is due to the accident or noise exposure.
ACC funding for both ears (Binaural)
Level 1 – $ 3157.90 (incl GST)
Level 2 – $3904.40 (incl GST)
Level 3 – $4953.05 (incl GST)
ACC funding for one ear (Monaural)
Level 1 – $ 1873.35 (incl GST)
Level 2 – $ 2247.10 (incl GST)
Level 3 – $ 2770.93 (incl GST)
How to apply for ACC hearing aid funding
- See you GP – Your GP will send the ACC45 form to ACC
- Fill out and return forms to ACC – ACC will send you a pack with information and some forms to fill in and send back to them. They will ask about your accident or work history.
- Audiologist Assessment – ACC will send you a request to see an Audiologist for a full diagnostic hearing assessment. Please give us a call at Auckland Hearing, we will make you an appt. We will do a full diagnostic hearing test and fill in the forms to send them back to ACC. ACC covers the cost of this hearing test.
- ENT specialist appointment – ACC will make you an appointment to see an ENT specialist. They will decide how much of your hearing loss is due to noise and how much is from other things ie age. ACC covers the cost of this appointment.
- ACC Hearing aid funding – ACC will make their decision and send you a letter letting you know how much funding you qualify for.
- Hearing needs assessment – We will see you again at Auckland Hearing for a need assessment appointment to decide which hearing aids are best for you.
- Fully funded hearing aids – We can provide fully funded hearing aids at all funding levels or you can top up to other hearing aids if you choose to.
Getting started with your ACC application
If you are not sure about whether you could be eligible for an ACC claim or would like more information, please make an appointment for a free hearing check and discuss your options and the way forward.